Last Updated on
Confusion always ensues when we have to decide how we want to paint our homes. The problem is not with the choice of colours as much as it is about the type of wall paints. There’s a diverse collection to choose from but major categorizations are the Distemper Paints and the Emulsions Paints/Plastic Paints.
We have already covered the best plastic paints in India in detail, but this guide is going to be all about the distemper paints. As compared to emulsions, distemper paints are cheaper. This is why some homeowners think that distempers are in some way inferior to plastic paints. That’s a brutally wrong assumption, even in some scenarios, distemper paints are a preferred choice.
What’s Distemper Paint?
Distemper paints differ from emulsions in their constituents. Formulated from chalk, lime and water traditionally, today these paints have advanced copolymer buildup that provides unmatched qualities like enhanced finish, longer colour retention, and durability. You can apply distemper paints directly to the cement wall without any coating or a primer. Modern-day distemper paints offered by the top paint brands in India can last up to 4 years and can be used for both interior and exterior walls.
Why buy distemper paints?
Price economy is one of the main reasons to buy distemper paints. Some other pros are:
- No need to prepare the surface with wall putty or primer that saves additional cost
- Less expensive as compared to emulsion paints
- Can last up to five years with minimum maintenance
- Distemper paint does not crack or dry in sunlight, making them suitable for exterior walls
Now, if you are convinced enough to invest in distemper paints, here are the top products to choose from.
5 Best Distemper Paints in India
1. Nerolac Beauty Acrylic Distemper
Nerolac is one of the brands that provide a large range of interior and exterior paints. While emulsion paints from the brand are extremely popular, Nerolac also has some best in industry Acrylic distemper paints as well.
Nerolac Beauty Acrylic Distemper is an excellent paint for the interiors. A premium quality, durable water-based distemper, you can use it for a beautifying matt finish on the walls and ceilings. If you do not like those irritating light glares reflecting from your walls, then this is the distemper paint you want to use.
- A premium acrylic distemper
- Easy to apply with a brush, roller or spray
- Gives an eye-soothing matt finish
- Brighter and cleaner shades
- Good washability
- Excellent antifungal properties
Nerolac Beauty Acrylic Distemper is easy to apply. A litre of paint can over around 176-204 sq. feet of area in a single coat. Make sure, the application surface is non-absorbent and smooth.
For thinning, the distemper uses 1 litre of water with 1.5 kg of Nerolac Beauty Acrylic Distemper.
The surface will take around 30 minutes to dry and paint is stable after 4-6 hours. It brings out matt finish after drying completely.
Estimated Price-INR 74/kg
2. Asian Paints Tractor Acrylic Distemper
Asian Paints is one of the top paint brands in India for a reason. It has been in the market for decades now and evolved with the changing painting needs of homeowners. For interior and exterior walls, Asian Paints has a wide range of emulsion paints as well as distempers paints.
For our best distemper paints in India list, we picked the Asian Paints Tractor Acrylic Distemper because it is the most selling paint in its category. You can choose from over 1000 shades in Tractor Acrylic Distemper for your interior walls. The distemper of the highest quality, it gives your walls an unmatched smooth matte finish.
- Unmatched durability and smooth finish shine
- Excellent performance because of Acrylic copolymer binder formulation
- Higher retention ensures your wall shades last for a long time
- Fast drying properties facilitate quicker job completion
- Over 450 bright and attractive shades to choose from
In a single coat application, 1 litre of Asian Paints Tractor Acrylic Distemper can cover up to 200 sq. feet area.
For thinning the distemper, mineral turpentine oil or water is the best thinner. Ideal dilution ratio is 8-10% for brush/roller and 15-20% for spray.
A well-prepared non-absorbent surface will dry within 30 minutes of application.
Estimated Price-INR 86/kg
3. Berger Bison Distemper
Berger offers the best value for money distemper paints in India. The brand has the highest quality Bison distemper range that is touted as the ‘Tough acrylic-based Distemper.’ If you are on the lookout for the best distemper paints in India, we recommend you Berger Bison Distemper.
A 100% water-based acrylic copolymer emulsion based distemper; Bison Distemper is designed specifically for interior walls. It is available in both factory-made shades and tint able format (colour shades can be made using dyes). This is why you are only restricted by your imagination to colour your walls in an elegant matt finish of your choice.
- It offers unparalleled superior whiteness that no other distemper is known to match
- Unmatched shade retention is another property that makes Bison Distemper keep walls lively for longer periods
- It is an enhanced version of distemper as it is termed as Bison Super Distemper for its better coverage, tint able format and the wider shade range
- A Green Pro Certified distemper supports cleaner and sustainable future
A double coat of Berger Bison Distemper can cover up to an area of 55 sq. ft when diluted with potable water.
For dilution use 600ml of potable water in 1litre of Bison Distemper.
It will take surface 15-25 minutes to dry depending on the weather conditions.
Estimated Price-INR 65/kg
4. Dulux Paints ICI Magik Distemper Paint
Dulux has a wide range of best distemper paints in India to offer. If you are a fan of the brand, then we recommend the ICI Magik Distemper Paint from Dulux that has the most distinguishing properties to offer.
The Magik distemper can be used for all kinds of interior masonry surfaces. A water-based distemper paint, Dulux Magik has an unmatched range of shades available, so you won’t run out of options to provide a smooth matt finish to the walls in the colour of your choice. You can sponge clean the walls painted with Magik Distemper.
- Available inexhaustive range of shades
- Compared to ordinary distempers offers an excellent superior quality smooth finish
- Superior quality colour delivery for brighter and cleaner shapes
- Improved brushability allows for quicker paint job completion
- No lead, mercury or chromium compounds
Dulux ICI Magik distemper is a water-based paint that can cover up to 120 sq. ft area in a single coat of the paint.
For thinning mix 1 kg of Dulux ICI Magik distemper with 650-700ml of water for use with brush or roller.
For the double coat application, maintain an interval of 3-4 hours between each coat.
Estimated Price-INR 65/kg
5. Indigo Acrylic Distemper
Indigo Paints is a homegrown brand that has become mainstream in recent years. Offering a full range of interior and exterior paints, it has some of the most economic paint products to offer.
Indigo Acrylic Distemper is a water-based interior paint that gives a classy matt finish to the walls. It is suitable for plaster walls on which you want low washability. Indigo Acrylic Distemper is available in packs of 1kg, 2kg, 5kg, 10kg, and 20kg.
- Comes with readymade shades and bases for a smoother finish
- Good washability
- Ideal for interior walls that need matt finish
- Easy application
- Fast drying
- Available in a wide range of colour shades
- Eco-friendly distemper with no mercury, lead or chromium compounds
Indigo Acrylic Distemper can cover an area of 100-110 sq. ft in a single coat.
For diluting the distemper use water in a ratio of 1:5, i.e. 500ml of water is required to thin 1kg of Indigo distemper.
The application surface will take up to 20 minutes to dry.
Avoid applying the paint on a lime wash or white cement painted wall.
Estimated Price-INR 90/kg
How to get the best results with distemper paints?
The final finish that shows on the walls after distemper paint application depends on how well you prepared the surface.
If you want to paint a newly plastered wall, then you must allow it to dry completely. Most manufacturers recommend letting the wall cure for at least 28 days before painting. However, you might have to wait 3 to 6 months for the moisture to completely dry depending on your local climate.
Any lost particles, dust, grease or mortar dropping should be removed with the help of a wire brush or putty knife.
The choice of the right kind of paint to use on your walls can be daunting. We hope our guide on the best distemper paints in India will help you choose the right paint for your walls. Let us know how your experience with the distemper paints was.