You have been looking for the best trading app in India, and landed here? You are in luck as this is one of the most comprehensive guides on the best stock trading app for beginners in India. We did the research and during comparison, we realized that there is no significant brokerage charge difference between the most leading stock brokers in India, but the actual difference lies in the technology they use for their respective trading apps.
Unless you are a day trader, an online trading app is good enough for any trader or investor. With technology empowering some of the best mobile development technologies, such trading apps can carry out almost all functions, that you can do on your laptop or desktop. Also, the penetration of high-speed internet and the spurt of smartphones is making it easier for everyone to trade stocks and invest in mutual funds and securities.
This is why stockbrokers are focusing more on mobile apps. Here is the list of best trading apps in India, that you can trust for your investment needs. However, before you pick your favourite, here are some pointers for selection.
How to choose the best trading app in India?
Online trading requires your financial information including linking your bank account to execute trades. This is why it is inevitable that you check the reliability and credibility of an app. Apart from feedbacks and user reviews, check who are the backers and promoters of the trading app.
You are looking for the top trading app in India not only because you want trust, but also because you want the experience to be friendly. An intuitive and clutter-free User Interface is important. The simpler the UI, the easier will be to trade.
Discount brokers are making it cheaper to do trading. This is why go for a trading app that has a lower fee but still is a market leader. You do not want to trade with an app that eats up your gains in fees and charges.
As you will explore trading, you will realize there is a lot to learn. From Market Tracking to Candle Charts and Automated Trades, pick the best app for trading in India that will aid your investment option.
Mutual Funds and Direct Funds
Mutual funds are one of the most popular investment options as they offer an excellent investment option for individual investors to be part of an expert-managed portfolio. Modern-day trading apps allow you to invest in Mutual Funds.
As per the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) direction, a mutual fund can be made available as regular funds and direct funds.
Regular funds involve a third-party broker and it involves broker charges and commissions. While a direct fund is a mutual fund scheme that is directly offered by the fund house. As there is no intermediary seller charges, direct mutual funds offer significantly lower annual expense ratio and can make a substantial difference of 25% or more in realized returns over long periods of over 10 years.
Top 8 Online Trading Apps in India
|Rank||Best Trading Apps In India|
|1.||Zerodha Kite Mobile Trading App|
|2.||Upstox PRO Trading App|
|3.||Angel Broking Online Mobile Trading App|
|4.||India Infoline (IIFL) Markets Trading App|
|6.||5Paisa Online Mobile Trading App|
|7.||Motilal Oswal Trader App|
|8.||FYERS Markets Online Trading App|
1. Zerodha Kite Mobile Trading App
Zerodha Kite is the best trading app in India for several reasons. Founded in 2010, it was the first trading apps in India to go mainstream from the first discount broker in the country. What you must know about Zerodha is it went on to become the No 1 stockbroker beating the bigshots like ICICI Direct and Sharekhan.
Kite’s mobile trading app was one of the products that helped them become successful. A lightweight and minimalistic UI app, it is an exciting venture for beginners who want to trade without getting distracted by a lot of information.
Brokerage is free for same-day trading on the Zerodha Kite app, purchase and sale of shares are also free. For all other types of trades, there is a flat fee of Rs 20/executed order irrespective of trade size.
- One-tap universal stock search from NSE, BSE, MCX
- Investment in Mutual Funds
- Zerodha Coin platform for direct fund investments
- Advanced chart with 100+ indicators
- Live streaming data
- Multiple MarketWatch
- Free 10 historical chart data
- Best trading app for beginners as well as experienced traders
- Some users reported issues when editing or deleting scripts
- Repeated lags in Chart loading
2. Upstox PRO Trading App
An app from the leading Indian discount broker, Upstox, the Upstox Pro is the best trading app in India for beginners. Started in 2011, today Upstox is backed by some of the most prominent investors like Mr. Ratan Tata, which is why you can count on this app.
Account opening with Upstox Pro is entirely paperless and you can start using your account almost instantly. For charges, you pay Rs. 0 on delivery and Rs. 20 per transaction on intraday and F&O trades.
- Comprehensive search tool for finding simple and complex stocks
- Varied charts of multiple intervals and drawing styles
- Over 100 technical real-time charts indicators
- Trade From Charts (TFC) feature for direct trading
- Historic data for the last 10 years
- No option to invest in Mutual Funds or Direct Funds
- No option to check the linked bank account details
- Navigation can be better
3. Angel Broking Online Mobile Trading App
From insurance to mutual funds and brokerage, Angel Broking offers a gamut of services since the last 30 years of its existence. Its trading app is one of the best to try with an abstract UI and support for both Android and iOS platforms.
Speaking of Charges, in 2019 Angel Broking adopted the full-service model wherein they charged in terms of the percentage of the total traded value. This made them expensive to deal with. But currently, they have switched to the discount brokerage model.
The app offers a flat rate brokerage plan ‘Angel iTrade PRIME’ in which you are charged a fixed Rs. 20 per trade to trade in all segments (Intraday, F&O, Currencies & Commodities). Also, there are no charges for Equity Delivery.
- Investment in Mutual Funds
- Multiple Index with real-time prices
- Live streaming market watch
- Create customized device watchlists
- Direct access to the last 10 transactions for Ledger, DP, and Funds from the app
- No Direct Funds
- UI can be much better
- Heavy app
- Charges are higher than most discount brokers
4. India Infoline (IIFL) Markets Trading App
Since 1995, India Infoline has offered service as a full-service stockbroker to Indian customers. Their reputation as a personalized brokerage service provider makes them a favourite of people looking for more of a research and recommendation portfolio.
IIFL Markets is the top trading app in India for experienced investors. You can open a securities account with IIFL Markets free of charge instantly.
For intraday, futures, and options orders, IIFL charges a flat Rs. 20 per trade.
- Loads of information are available with a tap. Data on all financial markets BSE, NSE, NCDEX, and MCX is available along with top gainers and losers data.
- Invest in direct funds with IIFL MF App
- Multiple customizable watchlists option
- Excellent stock tips made available backed with research and complete stock analysis
- Access to over 10 years of trade history for your account
- App automatically logouts every 15 minutes which can be annoying
- No option to buy NCDs/Bonds through the app
5. Sharekhan App
Founded in the year 2000, Sharekhan has grown to become the fourth-largest brokerage company in India by trading volume. You can trust them for your trading requirements as they are backed by the BNP Paribas Group. Sharekhan app soon became the best trading app in India given its diverse range of trading offerings including stock market securities, ESOP financing, and loans against shares.
Sharekhan App is a complete learning centre for beginners who want to learn about trading stocks and mutual funds.
There is no account opening or annual maintenance charges. For trading, it charges 0.02% to 0.10% depending on the type of trade.
- Enhanced live charts for smart tracking
- Customizable multiple watchlists
- User-friendly, crisp UI app
- Multiple markets to invest in including BSE, NSE and MCX
- No direct funds
- Average to high trading fee
- Funding only via bank transfer
6. 5Paisa Online Mobile Trading App
If you don’t want to create an account to check the features of the trading app, 5Paisa is just for you. It allows for guest login so you can have a look at what’s under the hood before opening an account. 5paisa Capital Ltd started its operations in March 2016. This is another Indian trading app that is promoted by IIFL.
5Paisa trading app has charges comparable to discount brokers like Zerodha and Upstox. They charge a flat Rs. 20 per executed order. However, unlike other discounts brokerages, 5Paisa does not offer zero delivery brokerage.
- Easy Demat Account opening feature directly from the app
- Best trading app for livestock market quotes from NSE & BSE
- Smart auto investor feature that creates a fully customized mutual fund investment portfolio for you
- Research toll for investment in the top Mutual Funds
- Direct fund investment options are available
- The app is not optimized to perform with slow internet speed especially when loading charts
- Unlike its competitors, there are no 15 min timeframe candles
- App UI is a bit cluttered
7. Motilal Oswal Trader App
One of the most popular stockbrokers in the country, Motilal Oswal (MOSL) has been in service since 1987. Today they have a strong local presence with branches in over 1700 locations. Motilal Oswal Trader App gives them a competitive presence in the online trading segment as well.
Considered the best stock trading app for beginners in India, you can invest in equity, mutual funds, IPO, bonds, currency, stocks, and life insurance from a single dashboard. MOSL is particularly good for beginners as they invest about 10% of their revenue for research, hence considered reliable.
Brokerage is higher compared to discount brokers. The charges are Rs.20 on currency and future trades while for equity options it’s Rs. 100 per trade.
- My Wallet features offer a single view snapshot of your positions, orders, and limits
- Get complete information on companies you search on NSE & BSE
- Invest in Direct Funds with MO Investor App
- Bulk order functionality to execute multiple orders from a single click
- Market screeners to help you recognize the trending stocks
- Algorithmic products like Trade guide signal and Option Decoder
- The app interface is outdated
- The charting feature is below average as compared to other trading apps on the list
8. FYERS Markets Online Trading App
FYERS is a relatively newer player in the market who debuted in 2015. The Bangalore-based discount stockbroker might have missed out on the early advantage but their outstanding mobile trading app has made them one of the best in the country.
FYERS Markets is a premier Indian trading app that is an excellent discount broker. It charges flat Rs. 20 per executed order, except for the delivery trades.
- Over 20 years of historical EOD charts
- Automated trading is possible
- Invest in Direct Funds via FYERS Direct platform
- 9+ months of historical intraday charts
- Multiple watchlists and Stock Screeners
- No price alert feature
- Investment in bonds and insurance is not possible
- No 3-in-1 Demat Account
Mobile trading is a norm nowadays, and we recommend it as well. Just by picking the best trading app in India, you will put yourself in an advantageous position. Here we have listed the best online trading mobile apps offered by some of the largest Indian brokers.
Do let us know your trading experience with these apps in the comments below.
Q. What is a trading app?
A trading app is a software application that allows investors and traders to execute their trades by combining market data and several data points with a customized user interface.
Q. Why use a trading app?
Trading apps can be operated from smartphones directly. These apps are technology-driven software that offers you all the features of a full-fledged online trading platform on your phone.
Q. What are some features that a trading app should have?
Friendly user interface, advanced charting, multiple markets (BSE, NSE, and MCX), monitor market live, and lowest possible fee and charges.
Q. Which is the best trading app for beginners in India?
For beginners, the best trading app is one that is easy to operate and offers enough guidance. Zerodha and Upstox are the two best trading apps for beginners in India.