‘Health is Wealth’ is a popular adage that we all know of, and people are actively transitioning into a healthy lifestyle taking up all forms of exercise. Yoga is one of the most popular holistic well-being forms, also shares the spotlight.
Yoga is something everyone can benefit from irrespective of their age and gender. Furthermore, all you need to start your journey is a quality yoga mat.
We understand that choosing a yoga mat might seem like a simple task on the surface, but it involves a bit of thinking and consideration. Today, there are yoga mats available to suit your preferences and which is why there are many factors to consider. The best yoga mat for a beginner is different from what an advanced yoga person would need. This is why we are here with this detailed guide to help you pick the best yoga mat .
Factors to consider when buying a Yoga Mat.
The kind of yoga mat you choose impacts your Yoga session in a big way. A good yoga mat helps you keep a firm footing with enough support that evenly distributes the body weight without, putting pressure on your joints. These mats are additionally designed for steadiness, grip and are anti-slipping.
An exercise mat will not only improve your overall yoga experience with comfort but also prevents the risk of any type of injury.
Some of the best exercise mats will have some attributes in common. These are:
The thickness of the yoga mat:
The most suitable thickness for a yoga mat is between 4mm to 10mm. A thick yoga mat provides you proper cushioning from the floor and absorbs the pressure without straining your joints. If you have a medical condition that requires extra support, there are yoga mats available that offer extra thickness up to 15mm.
Material of the yoga mat:
Yoga mats in India are usually available in PVC, rubber, TPE, Cotton, jute, and foam. The most popular among these are the PVC yoga mats as they stick easily and offer good grip. However, PVC is not an eco-friendly material.
Anti-slip and stable:
Stickiness is a property that the exercise mats should have. As you will be doing many arduous yoga poses, it is important to have stability. That is why you must consider the anti-slip property of the yoga mat.
Greatbuyz has done comprehensive research to make things easier for you. We have picked the top 10 yoga mats in India that you can buy online. Make your yoga practice more focused and productive with these best yoga mats.
Top 10 yoga mats in India
1. BodyBand Premium Yoga Mat
We start our list with a yoga mat that is extra-thick and durable, built to last for years. The BodyBand Premium is simply the best yoga mat in India packing a non-tear technology to be firm and stable even during the most intense yoga sessions.
● Made with recycled TPE fabric, eco-friendly and non-toxic.
● This yoga mat is 6mm thick, guaranteeing good cushioning.
● Closed-cell technology built prevents it from absorbing sweat or moisture.
● Grooved bottom layer to provide extra traction and a textured anti-slip top layer.
● 75 inches x 25.5 inches size is suitable for all body sizes and height.
● Aesthetically cool blue coloured yoga mat
● Good traction and comfort
● Non-toxic material
● Comes with a microfibre towel for cleaning.
● Easy to roll up and store.
● Sturdy and does not tear easily.
● Breadth could have been a bit wider
2. AS Overseas Anti-Skid Long Size Yoga Mat
AS Overseas is the best brand for yoga mat in India if you are looking for economical products. Made from eco-friendly TPE material, this mat also has an extra-large surface which allows you to practice yoga freely and without harming the environment.
● Made from eco-friendly TPE material.
● The thickness of 6mm makes it suitable for beginners as well as advanced yoga practitioners.
● It is 4 feet wide and 6 feet long.
● The foam used makes this yoga mat soft and comfortable offering ample support to the hips, joints, and knees.
● The base layer is anti-skid and offers a very solid grip ensuring safety in even difficult yoga poses.
● Adequate cushion support with 6mm thickness
● Eco-friendly TPE yoga mat with a solid grip
● The wide and long surface is anti-skid.
● Washable yoga mat
● Perfect for every yogi
● Photo degradable material requires safety from direct sunlight.
3. AmazonBasics Yoga mat with Carrying Strap
This AmazonBasics mat is the best exercise matif you are looking for a yoga mat that can be used for various exercises and workouts. A well-designed product, the AmazonBasics yoga mat is not provided with any decorations but is available in a variety of colours. The focus has been on providing this yoga mat with sturdy support and comfort. It is most suitable when you must do yoga exercises outdoors on a rough surface.
● Textured non-skid finish prevents injury.
● It is 76” long and 24” wide, suitable for tall people.
● Extra 13 mm thickness provides a good cushion for the body even on a rough surface.
● Foam material built, both lightweight and durable
● A variety of colours to choose from.
● Comfortable on any kind of floor.
● Textured surface for better traction.
● Comes with a strap for easy fold and storage.
● Extra thick for ample support.
● Can be washed with water.
● The extra thickness is prone to light impressions after exercise.
4. Strauss TPE Eco-Friendly Yoga Mat
Strauss is counted among the top yoga mat brands in India. The TPE Eco-Friendly Yoga Mat from Strauss is made from high-quality natural rubber and super absorbent fiber. Being a rubber mat it is suitable for those who have skin allergies and is also environmentally friendly. If you are looking for a soft and lightweight yoga mat for yoga asanas like Naukasana, Viparita Karni, Kapalabhati, and Paschimottanasana, this product is best for you.
● The thickness of 6mm makes it suitable for intense yoga.
● TPE eco-friendly material with super absorbent fibre.
● Measures 13.2 x 13.2 x 61 cm
● Anti-slip and long-lasting
● Made from natural materials.
● Lightweight, ideal for travellers.
● 6mm thickness makes for a resilient and durable yoga mat.
● Washable material, easy to keep odour free.
● Not a suitable yoga mat for hot yoga
5. Lifelong Yoga Mat with Carrying Strap
Yoga mat for highly intense and arduous yoga poses and Pilates is the one that has extra cushioning. Lifelong Yoga Mat comes with an extra thickness of 13 mm to provide extra comfort and support. Extra thickness does not mean it is heavy, made from lightweight foam material it only weighs 750 g.
The anti-slip material encourages you to hold any posture for a long time, whether you are doing yoga, Pilates, or other workouts.
● Lightweight foam material
● Durable, anti-slip, and textured surface
● It measures approximately 74 x 24 x 0.5 inches.
● 13 mm thickness makes it suitable for even the most intense workouts.
● A high-quality yoga mat perfect for studio or home use
● Enhanced traction on the floor with a textured non-slip surface
● Extra thickness for greater comfort
● Can be used for Pilates and other workouts.
● Comfortable cushioning protects hips, spine, knees, and elbows.
● Durable material
● The anti-slip property could have been better.
6. VitFit Yoga Mat with Yoga Mat Bag
VitFit cannot be left out when we are discussing the best yoga mat brand in India. They offer some of the best yoga mats online. The VitFit yoga mat is one of the most dominant products in the yoga mat category on Amazon with over 7000 positive ratings.
Made from sweat-absorbent EVA foam, this odour-free yoga mat also features a double non-slippery surface. If you want to take your yoga experience to the next level, this is the right product for you.
● Lightweight EVA foam material.
● 10mm thickness for comfortable support.
● Multiple colours to choose from.
● Easy to clean with soap and water.
● Sweat-Absorbent EVA Foam.
● 10mm thickness improves balance and prevents injuries.
● Comes with a Yoga Mat Bag.
● Highly durable and sturdy.
● Easily washable with soap and water.
● New product releases chemical smells.
7. Nivia Yoga Mat
This yoga mats from Nivia is popular among new-age yoga practitioners. Nivia yoga mat is designed from ultra-thick material to provide a sturdy surface for yoga poses. It eliminates joint pains and injuries as it is much thicker than standard yoga mats. However, it is made from PVC material which is a drawback.
● Dimension of 180 cm x 60 cm is suitable for different body sizes and height.
● The added thickness of 10 mm is very comfortable.
● Non-skid surface with textured top provides sturdy grip and stickiness.
● Available in multiple colours
● Suitable for hot yoga
● The soft material is comfortable to use.
● The non-skid surface provided enhanced protection from injuries.
● PVC material is not eco-friendly.
8. Brandvilla Eco-Friendly Yoga Mat
Yoga mat brands like Brandvilla are popular for their simple and yet inspiringly designed yoga products. Brandvilla eco-friendly Yoga Mat is a perfect example of being minimalistic and natural, yet highly effective.
Made from natural rubber and other recycled materials, this yoga mat is non-toxic and biodegradable. Available in varying thicknesses of 4 mm and 6 mm, this is the best yoga mat for beginners. As natural rubber absorbs sweat without being slippery, this yoga mat protects against injuries. Beginners can easily hold themselves in poses on this mat.
● Made from Natural Rubber and recycled materials.
● Measures 183 x 61 cm
● Available in 4mm / 6mm thickness
● Perfectly cushions joints.
● Eco-friendly durable material
● Strap present with the mat to easily carry it.
● Washable with soap and water
● The texture is not as impressive as other yoga mats on the list.
9. TEGO Stance Truly Reversible Mat
TEGO is counted among the top yoga mat brands in India because of its intuitive design. TEGO Stance Truly Reversible Mat is a premium mat that is provided with a practical alignment system. Printed on the top surface is an aesthetic posture reference map that consists of a middle point and several 45° references along with a diagonal straight line. This reference map helps you practice yoga positions accurately.
● Closed-cell construction technology build prevents odour.
● 5mm thickness of the yoga mat makes it suitable for outdoor use.
● 72 inches by 24 inches size
● Made with high-quality PVC material free from toxins like lead.
● Double-sided yoga mat, sticky on one side and highly textured on the other.
● Anti-microbial technology to keep it bacteria-free.
● An alignment map comes in handy for beginners.
● Easy to roll and carry to yoga sessions.
● Great traction
● High-quality build
● PVC material is non-biodegradable.
10. Narains Yoga Mat
The Narains mat is available in two thickness variants-a 4mm and a 6mm. Made from a non-skid rubber material, this yoga mat is designed for safety when you are working out. One of the impressive features of this yoga mat is the sleek design that makes it extremely lightweight at just 499 g.
If you want to yoga mat for carrying around then Narains yoga mat is an ideal choice.
● Natural rubber material
● Available in 6 mm and 4 mm thickness
● Anti-skid bottom and textured top
● Available in multiple colours
● Machine washable material, very easy to clean.
● Suitable for hot yoga
● Eco-friendly and non-toxic
● Lightweight and portable
● Anti-skid design
● Enough cushioning for comfortable long hour yoga sessions
● The right texture, not too hard or too soft
● The textured surface is left with imprints.
All yoga mats serve one purpose which is to help make exercise sessions productive by offering convenience and comfort. This is why when purchasing a yoga mat online the quality, size, material, and features matter. We hope this guide on the top 10 yoga mats will help you choose the right product without spending hours on product research.
FAQ about Best Yoga Mats
Q. Why Yoga Mat?
Yoga is all about focus and attention, which is hard to gain when you are uncomfortable. A yoga mat enhances your experience by offering you comfort, cushioning your joints, and providing protection against injury. They are perfect for outdoor use as they are easy to clean after every use.
Q. Are all yoga mats the same type?
No. The yoga mats are available in diverse sizes, materials, and colors. However, these mats can be classified into types based on their material.
Natural eco-friendly yoga mats: As the title suggests, these are made from a natural and biodegradable rubber material. As rubber has anti-skid and durable properties, these mats are highly sought after.
Cotton yoga mats: Such yoga mats are popular for their softness and most suitable for people with injuries or recovering from wounds. As cotton is also a natural absorbent, cotton yoga mats absorb sweat, making them non-slippery.
Jute yoga mats: Being a natural and biodegradable material, jute is extremely popular for making yoga mats. However, jute yoga mats suffer from durability issues as they lose strength when absorbed in water.
Plastic elastomer yoga mats: Most of the basic yoga mats are made from polymer, especially PVC. These mats are simple, easy to clean, and durable, but they are not eco-friendly.